LEAP 6 School, South Africa Individuals Project
Mon, Nov 28 7:00AM - Wed, Dec 7 3:00PM
Ga-Rankuwa, South Africa Ga-Rankuwa, South Africa
Want to be part of a team that advances the quality of education in South Africa's townships and grow your leadership development skills? Apply now to the Team4Tech project to Ga-Rankuwa, South Africa before the Friday, October 21st deadline.
The upcoming individual project details are:
Location: LEAP 6 School, located in Ga-Rankuwa, a township near Pretoria (the administrative capital of South Africa).
In-Country Project Dates: Monday, November 28 – Wednesday, December 7, 2016.
Project Scope: The team will set up a leading school’s IT infrastructure, and conduct an IT Teacher Training Workshop to help integrate technology into classrooms. The project goal is to leverage technology to increase teacher efficiency and improve learners’ problem solving skills.
About the Nonprofit
For the upcoming project, we will be working at LEAP 6 School. LEAP is an innovative nonprofit organization that has six schools throughout South Africa and is a pioneer in providing quality education to underserved youth. They focus on Math, Science, and English, have extended school hours, and believe in developing students’ character and intellect. On average 70% students in South Africa pass their Grade 12 examinations, while 96% of LEAP Grade 12 students passed.
This will be our fourth Team4Tech project with LEAP where we will build upon previous Team4Tech projects' successes. You can read more about the previous projects here:
- Tutor training with LEAP's after-school tutors in August 2014
- Teacher training with LEAP 4 school in Diepsloot in July 2015
Project Commitment and Timing
The LEAP 6 project spans three months with three phases. Volunteers will be expected to opt-in to full participation in all three phases:
- Preparation Phase: (Monday, October 17 – Tuesday, November 22, 2016): During the preparation phase, you will dive into discovering and facilitating using design, learning, and reflective mindsets that strengthen your 21st Century leadership skills, and model life-long learning for LEAP teachers and students. The preparation phase includes one hour team calls and 3 - 5 hours reading and sub-team preparation work per week.
- In-Country Phase: (Monday, November 28 – Wednesday, December 7, 2016): While in-country, you will help install IT equipment and software, conduct IT teacher training workshop, participate in cultural immersion activities, and share your thoughts with the team during evening reflections. You should expect a full schedule every day.
- Debrief Phase: (December 2016): To help you re-integrate to your daily life, you will have the opportunity to participate in a debrief workshop, and craft and present your story to friends and colleagues. The intention of this phase is to help you unlock your insights and share your experience with others.
The cost of participation is $5,000 plus airfare. Our project cost covers all in-country expenses (including accommodations, meals, local transportation, and project implementation supplies), and start-up matching grants of up to $15,000 for our nonprofit partners so they can purchase IT equipment. We offer a number of scholarships (please inquire) and can assist you with raising money from your family and friends through our Fundly platform.
Apply by Friday, October 21st
We are looking to form a team with diverse perspectives. If you're interested, apply now before Friday, October 21st 5pm PST. On the application, please state that you are interested in "LEAP 6 Project" on the "How did you hear about us" question. We look forward to receiving your application and if you have any questions, please email Dawn (Program Manager) at email@example.com.