The Design Thinking Ghana Conference (DTGC) is Africa’s premier Design Thinking conference. This year, DTGC 2019 is partnering with Financial Inclusion Forum Africa (FIF) to organize the conference on the theme: Financial Inclusion and 5G. How will technology deliver financial inclusion?
Come listen to power talks by industry experts, panels and idea concepts (from our design sprint). Check out the speakers here bit.ly/DTGC2019Speakers
Date: Saturday, 8th June, 2019
Venue: Conference Room, Silver Star Towers, Mezzanine Floor, Airport City.
Time: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
According to the Center for Financial Inclusion (CFI
), the future of finance is brightest when it provides valuable services to the broadest swath of society and the economy. In Ghana, only 30% of the population is banked (World Bank/IMF
)but a large percentage of the population participates in financial tools such as mobile money. Mobile money transactions have increased by about 177 percent between 2013 and March 2018, mobile money accounts had increased from 8.20 to 25.3 million, according to the BoG Governor
(May 2018). Hence, moving individuals into the financial mainstream is not simply an aspirational goal, it’s an attainable goal.
With technology, financial institutions can now reach new customers with formal financial services—in payments, savings, credit, and insurance, transforming individual lives and creating a ripple effect that drives improvements across the global economy. With the 2.5 billion people who are unbanked, providing financial services to them could boost economic growth and opportunity for the world's poor.
As a result, for this year, DTGC2019 is focusing on bridging the gap in the financial inclusion space by integrating finance-related transactions/interactions along the spectrum of feature (Yam) phones to 5G-ready phones. We do this by recruiting ecosystem players to use Design Thinking to develop new innovative ideas and solutions to move people from the informal sector into the financial mainstream of transaction.
We are inviting interested participants, design thinking enthusiasts, entrepreneurs, and ecosystem players, such as Telcos, banks, card processors, researchers, MFIs, regulators, and others to participate in a discussion of innovation in the financial inclusion space. The conference will host speakers and panelists, as well as presentations on prototypes of idea concepts developed by teams from a 2-day design sprint prior to the conference. This year promises to be insightful and an opportunity for participants to discover new practical innovations within the financial inclusion sector, network with ecosystem players and form bonds with project team members to continue working on the key concepts identified at this conference towards commercial fruition.
- Dr. Gordon Adomdza, Associate Professor of Design Thinking and Entrepreneurship at the Business Administration Department, Ashesi University; Founding Lead, The Ashesi Design Lab, Co-Founder, Design Thinking Ghana Hub.
- Mr. David Hutchful, CEO of Bloom Impact, Adjunct Lecturer of Design Thinking and Human Computer Interaction at Ashesi University. Design Thinking Facilitator at Design Thinking Ghana Hub
- Mr. Philip Asare, Project Manager at TheoVision, Adjunct Lecturer of Design Thinking at Ashesi University, Design Thinking Facilitator at Design Thinking Ghana Hub
- Mr. Kofi Gyamfi, Employer Brand Specialist at Unilever, Design Thinking Facilitator at Design Thinking Ghana Hub
- Mr. Mubarak Sumaila, EIT at Meltwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology (MEST), Design Thinking Facilitator at Design Thinking Ghana Hub
The following are our developing list of partners providing support at a variety of levels of support for the design sprints and for helping the teams conduct further validation of the concepts.
- Ghana Financial Inclusion Forum Africa
- Ashesi D:Lab
- Ghana Design Thinkers Group, The Netherlands
- Fintech Chamber of Ghana
- HPI d.school @ UCT, South Africa
- MIT D-Lab, USA
- South African Business Chamber
Should require further information or clarification, please do not hesitate to contact Selassie Tay, Business Manager of FIF, +233207369144, email@example.com or Ms. Abena Engmann, DTGC2019 Manager, +233244276201, firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also contact Dr. Gordon Adomdza, DTGC Director +233547047047 or WhatsApp +1781-290-9984. or by email email@example.com. Further, you can contact Ms. Afia Serwaa Owusu Sekyere, DTGC Coordinator at +233548792077 or +233541566748 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org